Muslims gather in Makkah for the Hajj
Monday 15 November 2010
Nearly three million Muslims have gathered for the annual hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
The white-robed pilgrims began their ascent of the Mountain of Mercy at Arafat at dawn today.
The climb at Arafat is one of the cornerstones of the pilgrimage that is required from every able-bodied Muslim at least once in their lifetime.
It is the site where Islam's Prophet Muhammad delivered his farewell sermon. Muslims believe on this day the doors of heavens open to answer prayers and grant forgiveness.
Saudi authorities have taken new measures to improve crowd management at this hajj - including launching a new light-rail system to transport pilgrims between the shrines.
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...