News website confuses Obama satire with reality
Saturday 29 September 2012
A joke by the American satirical newspaper The Onion appears to have got lost in translation.
An Iranian news agency picked up – as fact – a story from the paper about a supposed survey showing an overwhelming majority of rural white Americans would rather vote for the Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, than the US President Barack Obama. But it was made up, like everything in the satirical newspaper.
The English-language service of Iran's semi-official Fars news agency re-published the story yesterday.
The Onion's editor, Will Tracy, put out a tongue-in-cheek statement saying: "The Onion ... commends the journalists at Iran's finest news source on their superb reportage."
Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
Pornhub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
£16000 - £46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£9 - £13 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a s...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...