News website confuses Obama satire with reality
Saturday 29 September 2012
A joke by the American satirical newspaper The Onion appears to have got lost in translation.
An Iranian news agency picked up – as fact – a story from the paper about a supposed survey showing an overwhelming majority of rural white Americans would rather vote for the Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, than the US President Barack Obama. But it was made up, like everything in the satirical newspaper.
The English-language service of Iran's semi-official Fars news agency re-published the story yesterday.
The Onion's editor, Will Tracy, put out a tongue-in-cheek statement saying: "The Onion ... commends the journalists at Iran's finest news source on their superb reportage."
Scottish independence referendum: Frankie Boyle reacts to nation's 'No' vote - 'To be fair, I've always hated Scotland'
Scottish independence referendum results: David Cameron pledges plans for 'English votes for English laws' by January
Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
Scottish referendum results: David Cameron set to unveil major devolution of powers to England
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 3 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence referendum: JK Rowling, Russell Brand, Nigel Farage and more react to the 'No' vote
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (CIM, B2B, MS Offi...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly successful organisation wit...
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...
£32000 - £42000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...