Officials: Iraqi judge, wife and daughter killed
Saturday 30 April 2011
Iraqi officials say a judge, his wife and daughter have been killed when their house was blown up.
Police say gunmen planted three bombs around the judge's house in a village near the town of Taji, 12 miles north of Baghdad that exploded before dawn today.
The spkoesman for the Iraqi Supreme Judicial Council, Abdul-Sattar Bayrkdar, confirmed the death of Tuma al-Timimi, a judge in western Baghdad. The spokesman accused insurgents of targeting judges for their roles in combating terrorism.
Two of the judge's other children were injured.
Insurgents are stepping up their attacks against government officials before the final withdrawal of the American forces by the end of this year. Judges have often complained about a lack of protection.
University of Cambridge: Remains of 1,300 scholars are found under building
April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
April Fools' Day 2015 live: The best pranks and fake stories from around the world
Turkey power cut: Prime Minister says nationwide blackout could be caused by terrorists
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: You will also work alongside their seasoned sa...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for your first step into...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This innovative company working...