Senior officer killed in blast
Monday 14 November 2011
A senior Revolutionary Guard commander was one of at least 17 soldiers killed on Saturday in a huge explosion at an Iranian ammunition depot near Tehran.
The explosion happened as munitions were being moved within the base outside Bidganeh village, which is 25 miles from the capital, according to Iranian officials.
State-run television said 16 other soldiers were injured and taken to hospital, with at least one of them believed to be in a critical condition. Among those killed was Hasan Moghaddam, a senior Guard commander.
While the explosion occurred during a time of heightened tension with Israel, the US and other western powers, Iranian politician Parviz Soroori ruled out sabotage. It is believed to be an accident.
"No sabotage was involved in this incident. It has nothing to do with politics," Mr Soroori said. AP
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
TV presenter Fiona Bruce seemed a bit startled by the find during the filming of Antiques Roadshow
Comedian says he 'never laughed as hard as I have writing with Rik'
- 1 Sick elderly man makes 'complete turnaround' after emotional reunion with dog
- 2 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 3 Isis fighters 'crucify' 17-year-old boy in Syria
- 4 Ebola cruise ship ‘in utter panic’ as Mexico and Belize refuse to let it dock
- 5 Death of northern white rhino leaves just six of endangered animals left in the world
£60,000 - £80,000: Saxton Leigh: Our client is an leading Asset Manager based...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Sheffield: Permanent Year 6 TeacherThe job:This...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Sheffield: KS1+KS2 Teachers required ASAP for l...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Sheffield: Year 2 Teacher The position is to wo...