Senior officer killed in blast
Monday 14 November 2011
A senior Revolutionary Guard commander was one of at least 17 soldiers killed on Saturday in a huge explosion at an Iranian ammunition depot near Tehran.
The explosion happened as munitions were being moved within the base outside Bidganeh village, which is 25 miles from the capital, according to Iranian officials.
State-run television said 16 other soldiers were injured and taken to hospital, with at least one of them believed to be in a critical condition. Among those killed was Hasan Moghaddam, a senior Guard commander.
While the explosion occurred during a time of heightened tension with Israel, the US and other western powers, Iranian politician Parviz Soroori ruled out sabotage. It is believed to be an accident.
"No sabotage was involved in this incident. It has nothing to do with politics," Mr Soroori said. AP
Israel-Gaza conflict: Israeli targeting policy under scrutiny after shellfire hits a mother and child, a school full of refugees and a doctor’s home
Iraq crisis: Isis orders Mosul shop keepers to cover mannequins
Comic Con 2014 attendees
Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...