Sunnis offered bigger role in Iraq
Friday 10 June 2005
Sunni Muslims are to be given up to 25 seats on the committee that will draft Iraq's new constitution.
The announcement by Iraq's President, Jalal Talabani, was made during a visit to Baghdad by Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary. Sunni Arabs had threatened to pull out of the political process if they were not given a bigger say on the committee. Mr Talabani said: "We have decided to add about 20 to 25 members from Sunnis in the committee, which will draft the constitution with full rights like other members who were elected by the parliament. This will be done very soon and we are discussing to finalise the making of this decision."
Two Sunni Arabs currently sit on the 55-member parliamentary committee. The Shia-led government had offered 13 extra places for Sunni Arabs from outside the parliament, but without voting rights.
The constitution must be drafted by mid-August and approved in a referendum. Sunni approval is needed for the charter to take effect and elections to be held in December.
Hopes raised for treatment of severe amnesia after scientists retrieve lost memory – using light
Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
Poorest part of London is wealthier than the richest parts of Northern Ireland and Wales
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
How to live to be really old
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
£17000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Join one of the UK's leading de...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a white-ha...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading Solar P...