Syria faces tough Arab League sanctions as deadline passes
Syria's embattled regime was facing tougher punitive measures from the Arab League last night after it seemed set to miss a new deadline to allow observers to enter the country.
The pan-Arab body set yesterday as the deadline for Damascus to implement a key part of a peace plan aimed at halting the brutal crackdown on opponents of President Bashar al-Assad's rule.
Despite Damascus's assertions that it was preparing to comply with the plan, the Qatari Prime Minister, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim, was quoted by the Al Jazeera news network as saying he that did not expect the Syrian government to sign an agreement.
It would be the second deadline Syria has missed since 25 November, when the Arab League approved a series of economic sanctions following similar moves by the EU and the US.
The UN has warned that Syria is on the verge of civil war. It estimates that more than 4,000 people, including 300 children, have been killed since the uprising began in March.
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will be working with a 8 st...
£8000 - £12000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A unique opportunity has arisen ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a pa...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of designer kitch...