Syrian anger as UN puts death toll at 5,000
Syria has reacted furiously after the UN human rights chief increased pressure on the regime of Bashar al-Assad by upwardly revising the death toll during the country's uprising to 5,000.
Navi Pillay, the High Commissioner for Human Rights, told the Security Council that the situation in Syria was now "intolerable" and urged the UN body to refer Syria to the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity.
Syria's ambassador to the UN, Bashar Jaafari, hit back fiercely, saying Ms Pillay's appearance before the council on Monday was part of a "huge conspiracy concocted against Syria since the beginning". He added that Ms Pillay had "trespassed her mandate".
The latest estimate is up from the previous figure of 4,000. It came as Human Rights Watch prepared to release a report also calling for Syria to be referred to the ICC. The organisation said it would be naming 70 commanders and officials who should be investigated over their alleged roles in committing atrocities over the past nine months.
"Between Pillay's briefing and our report, there really is no excuse for continued inaction at the Security Council," said Ole Solvang, emergencies researcher at Human Rights Watch.
In Syria yesterday there was no let-up in the killings. A total of 28 people were killed across the country, according to reports. An activist in Damascus, who called himself Basel, told The Independent that the UN's figures highlighted the need for Western intervention. "We are sure now that the facts on the ground mean we need military support," he said.
But Adib Shishakli, a leading member of the Syrian National Council, an umbrella opposition group, said the West could help by offering "logistical" support to regime opponents.
"So far the only response we have got has been boycotts and embargoes, but nothing is stopping the killing," he said. "It's obviously not enough."
Not every member of the international community backed Ms Pillay. The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, said critics should do more to condemn violence by protesters.
Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
World news in pictures
Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.