Syrian troops fire on large crowds of protesters after 10 soldiers killed
Saturday 21 April 2012
Syrian troops fired bullets and tear gas to disperse thousands of protesters yesterday, according to activists, as state media reported that a roadside bomb killed 10 soldiers.
Protesters spilled on to the streets in cities and towns across Syria, calling for the downfall of President Bashar al-Assad and chanting in support of rebel forces. Protests were reported in the capital Damascus and its suburbs, as well as in the northern city of Aleppo, the central regions of Hama and Homs, in eastern towns near the Iraq border and in the southern Daraa province.
In Paris, the French Foreign Minister, Alain Juppé, said the international community had to live up to its responsibilities in Syria and prepare for the possible failure of a fragile peace plan. He said that if special envoy Kofi Annan's peace plan "doesn't function, we have to envisage other methods".
A ceasefire that went into effect last week has been unravelling, but the truce is still seen as the most viable way to end the bloodshed that has killed more than 9,000 people since the uprising against Assad began 13 months ago. The UN has sent seven international observers into Syria, with the hopes of boosting the numbers soon.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...