Teenager among seven dead as troops open fire in Homs
Wednesday 07 September 2011
Syrian soldiers opened fire in and around the rebellious city of Homs yesterday, killing seven people, including a teenager, as the UN secretary-general urged the world to take action on Syria.
The bodies of five unidentified people, including a woman, were found in the city centre, activists said. Condemning the violence, Ban Ki-moon delivered some of his strongest words yet, saying President Bashar al-Assad must take "bold and decisive measures before it's too late".
"It's already too late, in fact," Mr Ban said in New Zealand, where he was attending a meeting of Pacific leaders. "If it takes more and more days, then more people will be killed."
The UN says that 2,200 people have been killed since the Syrian uprising began in March, inspired by other revolutions sweeping the Arab world.
Nearly six months later, the unrest in Syria has descended into a bloody stalemate with neither side willing to back down.
Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...