Teenager among seven dead as troops open fire in Homs
Wednesday 07 September 2011
Syrian soldiers opened fire in and around the rebellious city of Homs yesterday, killing seven people, including a teenager, as the UN secretary-general urged the world to take action on Syria.
The bodies of five unidentified people, including a woman, were found in the city centre, activists said. Condemning the violence, Ban Ki-moon delivered some of his strongest words yet, saying President Bashar al-Assad must take "bold and decisive measures before it's too late".
"It's already too late, in fact," Mr Ban said in New Zealand, where he was attending a meeting of Pacific leaders. "If it takes more and more days, then more people will be killed."
The UN says that 2,200 people have been killed since the Syrian uprising began in March, inspired by other revolutions sweeping the Arab world.
Nearly six months later, the unrest in Syria has descended into a bloody stalemate with neither side willing to back down.
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
Madeleine McCann latest: Kate and Gerry McCann 'welcome' search in lake near Praia da Luz
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Multi-skilled graphic designer ...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + EXCELLENT: Austen Lloyd: Court of Protection Solic...