The Big Picture: in memory of the Rabbi
Monday 03 May 2010
Ultra-orthodox Jews pray at the grave site of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai in the northern Israeli village of Meron.
It is early in the morning and these prayers are to mark the day-long holy Jewish holiday of Lag B'Omer, which commemorates bar Yochai's death.
Bar Yochai was a great scholar and one of the most important sages in Jewish history some 1,800 years ago.
To mark this day, hundreds of thousands of Jews light bonfires all night. It is widely believed that both the Rabbi and his son were buried on Mount Meron. Ultra-Orthodox Jews often mark the day with a visit to his final resting place.
Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons
Germanwings plane crash: Andreas Lubitz 'had eyesight problems' and woke from nightmares 'screaming we’re going down'
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
Zayn Malik's departure from One Direction shows the perils of fame in the age of social media
- 1 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 2 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 3 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Noel Gallagher: I lost sh*tloads of money, a few million, didn’t tell my wife
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...