The Big Picture: in memory of the Rabbi
Monday 03 May 2010
Ultra-orthodox Jews pray at the grave site of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai in the northern Israeli village of Meron.
It is early in the morning and these prayers are to mark the day-long holy Jewish holiday of Lag B'Omer, which commemorates bar Yochai's death.
Bar Yochai was a great scholar and one of the most important sages in Jewish history some 1,800 years ago.
To mark this day, hundreds of thousands of Jews light bonfires all night. It is widely believed that both the Rabbi and his son were buried on Mount Meron. Ultra-Orthodox Jews often mark the day with a visit to his final resting place.
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£65000 - £70000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Energy En...
£475 - £550 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Technical Accountant-Insuran...
£25-£30k Plus Car: Charter Selection: Major well established nationwide market...