The Big Picture: in memory of the Rabbi
Monday 03 May 2010
Ultra-orthodox Jews pray at the grave site of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai in the northern Israeli village of Meron.
It is early in the morning and these prayers are to mark the day-long holy Jewish holiday of Lag B'Omer, which commemorates bar Yochai's death.
Bar Yochai was a great scholar and one of the most important sages in Jewish history some 1,800 years ago.
To mark this day, hundreds of thousands of Jews light bonfires all night. It is widely believed that both the Rabbi and his son were buried on Mount Meron. Ultra-Orthodox Jews often mark the day with a visit to his final resting place.
Greek hospitals cannot afford painkillers, scissors or sheets as budget cuts bite
Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
Bulgarian seaside resort Sunny Beach is cheapest for beer
Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...