Three Lebanese troops killed on Syria border
Military source said gunmen opened fire before fleeing across border
Tuesday 28 May 2013
Gunmen opened fire on a military checkpoint in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley today, killing three soldiers before fleeing to the nearby Syrian border, a Lebanese military source said.
The source said two of the soldiers died in the attack, near the town of Arsal, and a third died later in hospital.
The border areas around Arsal are used by Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad to smuggle weapons and fighters from Lebanon across into Syria, and the region has seen previous clashes between the Lebanese military and gunmen.
In February, four Lebanese soldiers and two gunmen were killed in a gunfight near Arsal.
The shooting came as Syrian soldiers, backed by Lebanon's militant Hezbollah fighters, continued an assault on the nearby Syrian border town of Qusair to drive out rebels.
People are criticising Fifa World Cup sponsors with corrupt corporate logos
Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
British tourists complain impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Fifa corruption live: Sebb Blatter warns 'more bad news may follow' as he clings to power
Skull found in Spain could be the world's first-ever murder victim
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's fastest growing full s...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Estimating, preparation of tech...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will work as part of a smal...