Three people killed and 21 injured in Iraq car blast
Monday 31 December 2012
Three people have been killed and 21 others injured by a car bomb blast south of Baghdad, Iraqi officials said today.
A police officer said the explosion took place in a busy street in the southern city of Hillah where local government offices are located.
He said some Shiite pilgrims were there making their way to the nearby city of Karbala to mark the 7th century death of the Prophet Mohammed's grandson, Imam Hussein. Hillah is about 60 miles (95km) south of Baghdad.
He did not say how many pilgrims were among the casualties. A doctor confirmed the casualty figures.
Shiite pilgrims are one of the favourite targets for Sunni extremists.
Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
Michael Brown shooting: Driver smashes into crowd as protests erupt across the US during a second night of unrest
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Multi-skilled graphic designer ...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + EXCELLENT: Austen Lloyd: Court of Protection Solic...