Twelve children killed in Iraq school bomb blast
Sunday 06 October 2013
Car bombs have struck an elementary school and a police station in northern Iraq, killing 12 children, officials have said.
Tal Afar mayor Abdel-Aal al-Obeidi says the twin blasts hit the nearby village of Qabak on Sunday morning, the start of the local work week. The day saw a total body count of at least 33.
Tal Afar is 260 miles northwest of Baghdad, not far from the Syrian border.
He says eight of the dead are children killed in the school, which partially collapsed in the blast, and that others may be trapped inside.
The other two killed are policemen. He says at least 70 people are wounded.
Iraq is being rocked by the deadliest wave of bloodshed to hit the country in five years.
Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Prince Philip set to be knighted by Australia: Celebrate by reading his greatest gaffes
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...