UN nations condemn Syria and demand political transition in key vote
Friday 03 August 2012
The UN General Assembly today overwhelmingly voted to condemn the Syrian government and demanded a political transition in Syria, where 17 months of fighting between forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and opposition fighters.
The 193-nation assembly approved the Saudi-drafted non-binding resolution, which expressed "grave concern" at the escalation of violence in Syria, with 133 votes in favor, 12 against and 31 abstentions.
The resolution also had the assembly "deploring the failure of the Security Council to agree on measures to ensure the compliance of Syrian authorities with its decisions."
'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
London hotel gas blast: At least 14 hurt after gas explosion at Churchill Hyatt Regency hotel
Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 3 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 4 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
- 5 Largest ever study into the gay gene 'erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice'
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Trainee Sales Account Manager...