Women on haj without men are deported from Saudi Arabia
Saturday 29 September 2012
The expulsion has begun of 1,100 Nigerian women pilgrims who violated the kingdom's rule prohibiting Muslim women from travelling without a male guardian.
The women were detained after landing at the international airport in Jeddah, and the first 171 were sent back on Thursday.
Women must be accompanied by or have permission from a mahram – a male guardian – in order to travel in Saudi Arabia. But in the past women have been allowed to perform the annual haj pilgrimage in groups with male tour operators.
Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
Fifa corruption arrests: How Chuck Blazer rinsed money from the beautiful game
Fifa corruption live: Uefa to consider pulling teams from Fifa tournaments if Blatter stays
Ukip MP Douglas Carswell says he felt his safety was 'seriously at risk' after he was surrounded by anti-austerity protesters
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 3 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers not to take part
£20000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in the centre of Glasgow,...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Joinery Shop Foreman is required to join a p...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Bench Joiner is required to join a privately...