On a fax and a prayer
Thursday 21 January 1993
Yesterday Israel's telephone company, Bezek, installed a prayer fax machine at the Wailing Wall, Judaism's holiest site. Herod the Great must have squirmed in his grave. For centuries Jews have left wishes in the cracks in the wall - the last vestige of the temple built by Herod the Great in 20BC - believing they wouldbe granted. Now the pious Jew can simply dial the Wailing Wall number - from anywhere in the world - and Bezek promises the message will get through.
But there is a small hitch. Once a week the fax will be switched off: according to Jewish law the use of electricity, even when seeking divine intervention, is banned on the Sabbath.
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This web-based lead generation ...
£125 - £150 per day + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: A 'wonderful primary ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Our client is an 11-16 mixed commun...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly developing company in...