Police arrest third of South Pacific army
Wednesday 13 November 1996
"The law and order of Vanuatu is now in the hands of the Vanuatu police force," Fr Lini said from the capital, Port Vila. The police said that 138 of the 300-strong Vanuatu Mobile Force, which is in effect Vanuatu's army, had been arrested.
The VMF claims the government has failed to pay its members special duty allowances amounting to pounds 700,000 since 1992.
On 12 October, the VMF abducted the President, Jean-Marie Leye, from his home and forced him to fly to a nearby island where he was kept for several hours. The cabinet resolved to pay the allowance by the end of October, but no payment has been made. Port Vila - Reuter
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' involving 300,000 pieces of rubbish must be averted, warn scientists
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Oxford is the least affordable city in the UK, where houses cost 11 times local salaries
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a leading digital agency bu...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Charter Selection: Global leader in its respective ...
£130 - £161 per day: Randstad Education Nottingham: Do you have a qualificatio...
£6720 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: The school is much la...