Quayle to quit race for White House
Monday 27 September 1999
He is just the latest to accept defeat before the apparently invincible George W Bush, who leads all the opinion polls and has amassed a $52bn (pounds 32.5bn) campaign war chest.
Mr Quayle will now be remembered for his inability to spell and his ability to say the most hysterical incomprehensible things at the most inappropriate moment. Yet had he never entered the White House as vice- president to George Bush he would have remained the well regarded, conservative senator from Indiana.
- 1 Katie Hopkins questioned by police over allegations of inciting racial hatred after migrants article
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 4 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 5 US bookshop offers Go Set A Watchman refunds over false marketing as 'nice summer novel'
Indian train crash: Dozens dead after two derailments within minutes of each other in heavy floods
Katie Hopkins questioned by police over allegations of inciting racial hatred after migrants article
Jackie Chan in second place in Forbes' Highest Paid Actors list after magazine includes actors working outside US movie industry
Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Jeremy Corbyn: Tony Blair could face war crimes trial over 'illegal Iraq invasion'
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
£24000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Apprenticeship Tutor Assessors ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This organization has been a trusted partner t...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An excellent opportunity has ar...
£40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity working ...