Refugees flee Lome troops
Monday 01 February 1993
LOME (Reuter) - Frightened civilians streamed out of Lome towards Ghana and Benin yesterday, after troops avenging murdered comrades killed at least five people and then went on a looting spree.
Although most residents cowered indoors, hundreds of people carrying bundles of possessions were making their way by foot or car to the country's frontiers.
At least five civilians, including a young French boy, were killed when President Gnassingbe Eyadema's forces went on the rampage on Saturday, targeting opposition areas after pro-Eyadema television showed film of the bodies of two murdered soldiers.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Whether your looking for a f...
£11 - £12 per hour: Morgan Hunt: SpirALS Administrator - College - Start ASAP ...
£43000 - £65000 per annum + Excellent Benefits & Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group:...