Rutskoi attacks 'high-level graft'
Saturday 12 June 1993
Vice-President Alexander Rutskoi, stepping up a campaign against Boris Yeltsin, yesterday said Russians were living in a mafia state and needed swift elections to clear corruption from the corridors of power, Reuter reports from Moscow.
Mr Rutskoi was stripped of his powers by Mr Yeltsin and is planning to run against him in elections. He said his role in the state was now 'wholly ignored' by the President. 'But my authority has never been tarnished. I have no need to restore my authority.' He said Russia had passed from the control of a Communist mafia to that of a 'Democrat mafia'. Mr Rutskoi made no direct accusation of corruption against Mr Yeltsin, but repeated charges that members of his administration were involved in crooked dealings.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
World news in pictures
British man faces court after confessing to slitting two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Asteroid nine times the size of the QE2 liner to sail pass Earth
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 British business: We need to stay in the EU - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...