Sack for Holocaust MP
Thursday 19 October 1995
Mr Haider, who himself once publicly praised Hitler's employment programmes, acted swiftly to defuse the row over comments made by the MP John Gudenus during a television debate. Mr Gudenus refused to answer a question on whether he believed millions of Jews had been gassed to death under the Nazi regime, saying: "I'll stay out of that one."
The MP's evasiveness put his leader in a quandary. Austrians in general - and Freedom Party supporters in particular - have always had a struggle to acknowledge their complicity in the crimes of the Third Reich, but denial of the Holocaust remains completely taboo.
As his sacking of Mr Gudenus shows, Mr Haider clearly is trying to distance himself from the more extreme elements of his party. The prospect of his inclusion in government at the 17 December poll, however, still fills many Austrians with trepidation.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...