Small hand for a clapped-out power
Sunday 10 September 1995
In the background, meanwhile, technicians and soldiers patted their palms together and drank champagne, drawing this rebuke from a Norwegian observer. "Clapping, after you've let off an atom bomb which destroys the environment and perhaps the health of people for thousands of years, is unbelievable."
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Plenty of Fish dating site founder pulls 'Intimate Encounters' option to ward off sleazy men
Oklahoma tornado: Rescue effort nears an end as authorities say they are confident there are no bodies or survivors left in the rubble
Video emerges of Pope Francis reportedly performing an exorcism in St Peter’s Square
- 1 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 2 Swedes set up 'ultimate Viking movie'
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 China agrees to impose carbon targets by 2016
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Assistant Headteacher required urge...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Here at Randstad Education Cardiff we ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Secondary School Teachers & NQTs Requi...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Fluent Welsh speaking educational supp...