Speaker gets on his bike after cash row
Saturday 06 February 1993
'This evening I told the Prime Minister that it is with regret that I will be tendering my resignation as Speaker of the House of Represenatives to the Governor-General on Monday,' Mr McLeay said in a statement yesterday. 'I reiterate there has been no wrongdoing on my part.'
Mr McLeay had been under enormous public pressure since it became know he had been paid 65,000 Australian dollars ( pounds 30,000) in compensation by the Joint House Department after falling from a collapsible bicycle, hired from the parliamentary recreation centre, and injuring his elbow.
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
At least 91 feared dead including 20 children as massive tornado rips through Oklahoma
David Cameron offers civil partnership review and seeks to smooth relations with angry activists as gay marriage Bill clears major hurdle
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Quality Inspector - West Midlands - 3 Mon...
£21000 - £36000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Looking...
£120 per day: Randstad Education Luton: KS1 Teacher required to cover PPA in a...
MPS + OLA: Randstad Education London: Randstad Education are working with a Cl...