Sri Lankan opposition leader shot dead
Saturday 24 April 1993
Lalith Athulathmudali, a former minister and leader of the Democratic United National Front, died from his injuries at Colombo's General Hospital, police said. The assailant escaped.
Athulathmudali, who was 57, served in the cabinet between 1977 and 1991 before breaking with the ruling United National Party to form the opposition front. As national security minister in the 1980s, he was in charge of operations against Tamil rebels.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...