Street children killed
Saturday 24 July 1993
Six of the children were murdered beside Rio's most famous church, the Candelaria. Although the church square is on one of the city's main avenues, at night it becomes a no man's land. One teenage boy said he witnessed the Candelaria massacre from the top of an outdoor newsstand where he was sleeping. He identified one of the killers as a state policeman who had threatened the children earlier. 'The boy said (the policeman) drove by and tried to remove them,' a social worker said. 'Someone threw a rock and broke the car's windshield, and that may have touched it off.'
Another child, aged 15, said two of his younger brothers were killed. 'We are afraid but we have nowhere to go,' said the boy, who has been sleeping outside the church since he was 10 years old.
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...