Sun City complex closed by strike
Friday 29 July 1994
Mr Prior said the resort management was still attempting to clarify the cause of the strike at Sun City, which includes a complex of hotels, golf courses and a casino in the former Bophuthatswana homeland.
He said the biggest union, the South African Commercial Catering and Allied Workers' Union (SACCAWU) had not presented any demands and no formal dispute had been declared. Wage negotiations were 'at an advanced stage', Mr Prior went on, but 'it appears we have a minority of employees trying to undermine SACCAWU at Sun City.' 'We have lost millions (of rands) already - we had to cancel a major medical conference this weekend which involved 2,800 bed- nights. You can imagine what that cost,' Mr Prior said.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...