'Superman' actor Reeve is paralysed
Thursday 01 June 1995
Doctors said Mr Reeve, 42, whose recent films include Remains of the Day and Village of the Damned, suffered a severe neck injury after landing on his head. Last night the actor was said to be suffering full paralysis and breathing only with the aid of an artificial respirator.
"Mr Reeve currently has no movement or spontaneous respiration. He may require surgery to stabilise the upper spine in the near future," Dr John Jane, of the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, said last night. Mr Reeve was reported to be in a serious but stable condition.
According to a local newspaper report, Mr Reeve was attempting the third jump of a 15-jump cross-country course when his own horse, Eastern Express, threw him forward. He suffered fractures to two cervical vertebrae and damage to his spinal cord even though he had been wearing protective equipment.
Dr Jane said the long-term damage was not known.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...