Swiss sued over 'spy'
Wednesday 24 April 1996
Last week, Switzerland said it had withdrawn Jean-Pierre Vettovaglia, 49, its married ambassador to Bucharest, because of his relationship with a 21-year-old Evenimentul Zilei (News Day) political reporter, Floriana Jucan. "Miss Jucan is an employee of the Romanian espionage service, and her relationship with the Swiss ambassador therefore posed a security risk to Switzerland," the Foreign Ministry said.
Evenimentul Zilei's editor, Ion Cristoiu, denied this, saying: "The Swiss statement damaged the newspaper". Court officials confirmed that the suit, which seeks token damages of just one lei (a fraction of 1p), had been lodged. Ms Jucan says she had a relationship with the ambassador, but denies working for the security service.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End UI/U...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...