Trillion $ budget
Wednesday 20 March 1996
Washington - President Clinton yesterday presented a $1.64 trillion (pounds 1.01 trillion) budget for fiscal 1997, containing proposals for modest middle- class tax cuts and restraints on federal health-care programmes on which he will fight the autumn election, Rupert Cornwell writes. Republicans dismissed the plan, however, saying it would not balance the budget by the target date of 2002.
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
Oklahoma tornado: Children trapped in wreckage and at least 91 dead after massive storm rips through suburbs
- 1 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Top A&E doctors warn: 'We cannot guarantee safe care for patients anymore'
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£28000 - £34000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£250 - £300 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: Front end Developer - Havant -...
Negotiable: Randstad Education London: An Ofsted graded good school are lookin...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Looking...