Ukraine's billionaire `Joan of Arc' is confirmed as Prime Minister
Saturday 05 February 2005
Her appointment, which was proposed by President Viktor Yushchenko, was overwhelmingly endorsed by the parliament in Kiev and was seen as a reward for her success last November in mobilising tens of thousands of disgruntled Ukrainians whose actions helped propel Mr Yushchenko to power.
Three hundred and seventy three MPs (out of a total of 450) supported her nomination, with only the Communist Party voting against her.
Ms Tymoshenko, whose striking good looks, designer clothing and wealth (largely made from the gas industry) have also earned her the titles the "gas princess" and the "orange princess", said the country's 48 million citizens could look forward to a new liberal era. "We don't want, under any circumstances, the state or the government to retain the functions of managing or policing people, the functions of coercion and humiliation" she said.
Ukraine's new government is expected to accelerate attempts to join the EU, Nato and the World Trade Organisation.
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...