'Unita HQ captured'
Sunday 10 January 1993
The rout of the rebels further jeopardised hopes for peace in Angola. The fighting is the latest in a week of battles between government forces and troops of the former rebel movement in several cities. Unita lost elections in September which it was hoped would end 16 years of civil war.
Huambo, a central highlands city 300 miles south-east of Luanda, has been Mr Savimbi's headquarters since he rejected the results of the elections and reassembled his military. Rebels retreated there on Friday after suffering a defeat in the nearby city of Cuito, said Joao de Matos, the chief of staff of the Angolan military.
Yesterday a street-by-street battle for the city broke out after rebels attacked the governor's compound, he said. But Mr Savimbi apparently escaped the city before fighting broke out.
'When fighting ended, there was not a single member of Unita left in town,' said General Jose Maria, speaking on Angolan national radio. 'We have to assume their leaders managed to leave before the conflict began.'
An Unita spokesman, Jorge Chitendo, said on Portuguese television that more than 100 people had died in Huambo.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...