`We will wipe out bandits everywhere'
Tuesday 28 September 1999
Since then, Mr Putin's popularity rating has soared. For that is exactly how the unthinking Russian man in the street feels. "As soon as those Chechens started whining about independence, we should have nuked them," said Andrei, a small businessman. "We should just drop a nuclear bomb on them and have done."
Caucasians in Russia believe Moscow could have a hidden agenda. While condemning the recent terrorist bombings that have claimed nearly 300 lives, Eldar, an Azeri, said he suspected the Kremlin needed war for political reasons. "If journalists can interview [the Chechen field commander] Shamil Basayev freely, why is it so difficult for the Russian army to catch him?" he asked.
More thoughtful Russians accept that the Caucasians may have a point.
"I was very upset to hear our Prime Minister using such vulgar language," said Yevgenia, a linguist. "If he cannot choose his words better, then it does not inspire hope that he is capable of a sophisticated policy. Brute force is not the answer."
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...