Win this all-British beauty
a TVR Cerbera worth £37,000 with THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY
Sunday 12 February 1995
Equally at home around town or burning up the kilometres on a continental motorway the £37,000 Cerbera brings style and raw excitement back to motoring.
As motoring writer Roger Bell explains on this page, the Cerbera is exceptionally powerful. So, to ensure that you can handle your prize car with confidence, TVR will arrange a full day's instruction at a race track as well as a visit to its Blackpool factory.
To be in with a chance of owning this superb car, simply collect 12 differently numbered Tokens from The Independent and The Independent On Sunday. Today we print Token Seven and Token Eight will appear in tomorrow's paper.
Stick with The Independent and the car in your drive could soon be the torque of the town.
Genesis of a supercar
TVR comes of age with the launch of the Cerbera, writes Roger Bell. Out goes the old Land Rover engine, strong on muscle but low in credibility. In comes TVR's new pedigree powerhouse, the Blackpool specialist's ticket to the image-conscious supercar set. Watch out Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche and Lotus: there's a classy new kid on the block.
Off-the-shelf proprietary engines, most of Ford and Rover manufacture, have served TVR well since it was formed in the early Fifties by Trevor (hence TVR) Wilkinson. The Rover-propelled Griffiths will outsprint a Ferrari Testarossa costing more than four times as much. Raw power wasn't enough, though, for the company's present inspired owner, car freak Peter Wheeler. He wanted TVR to join the aristocratic elite with its own unique, race-bred engine.
After years of painstaking development, that dream has been fulfilled with the radical new engine that powers the Cerbera (pronounced sir-burr- uh). Wheeler race tested it himself in last year's Tuscan championship.
Designer Al Melling drew on Formula One technology to create a real blockbuster - 4.2 litres, eight cylinders, 350 horsepower... and that's just the `cooking' version. There's a more powerful 4.5 to come. Tuned for racing - TVR plans to enter a Cerbera in the Le Mans 24-hour classic - the big V8 is good for over 500hp.
TVRs are not for the timid or faint hearted. They are rumbustious cars, bred to excite and intrigue, not merely to get you there. Even the 'family' Cerbera, which has a stretched wheelbase, toddler rear seats and the civility of fixedhead bodywork, is formidably fast - and looks it. Styling that's elegantly muscular is typcial of Wheeler's TVRs. So is the cockpit, as lush as it's wacky. Anyone intimidated by power and performanance should look elsewhere for kicks.
WIN A TVR CERBERA TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Each day from 5 February to 21 February 1995, a TVR Cerbera token will be printed in The Independent/Independent on Sunday. The tokens will be printed in a numbered sequence, together with details of how to participate in the competition.
2. At the end of the promotion, 12 differently numbered tokens, at least one of which must have come from The Independent on Sunday,, must be sent with a completed entry form to: Win a TVR Cerbera, The Independent , PO Box 250, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire AL7 1TU.
3. The closing date for entries is February 28 1995 and the results will be published later that week. The prize is as stated and is available from August/September 1995.
4. Employees and agents of Newspaper Publishing plc or those of any other national newspaper company or of any other newspaper company associated with Newspaper Publishing plc or any other firm connected with the promotion are not eligible to take part, neither are their relatives nor members of their families or households. Entrants must be aged 18 or over.
5. There is a limit of one entry per household. To be valid, each entry must contain 12 differently numbered tokens, at least one of which must have come from The Independent on Sunday, and a completed entry form.
6. Only original tokens will be considered valid. Photocopies are not acceptable.
7. For previously published tokens send a S.A.E. to: The Independent TVR Cerbera Token Request, PO Box 3, Park Street, Chatteris, Cambs, PE16 6SB. State the number(s) of the token(s) required. Only 4 tokens per application.
8. The promoter reserves the right in their absolute discretion to disqualify any entry or competitor, nominee, add to, or waive any rules.
9. No correspondence will be entered into. Proof of postage will not be accepted as proof of receipt. The promoter will not take responsibility for entries lost or damaged in the post.
Regular cast member Ste Hay, played by Kieron Richardson, is about to test TV boundaries
- 1 Lee Evans announces retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 2 Pirelli calendar 2015: The problem with 'plus-size' models like Candice Huffine
- 3 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Jeff Fletcher dead: Britpop guitarist is decapitated by lorry in horrific traffic accident
These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
Jimmy Ruffin dead: Motown legend, who wrote 'What Becomes of the Brokenhearted', dies aged 78
New York snowstorm: Five dead and state of emergency declared as 'wall of snow' buries Buffalo
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
G20 summit: Enter Putin. Accompanied by four warships. To the sound of mockery
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
David Cameron 'compares Vladimir Putin’s Russia to Nazi Germany' ahead of tense meeting
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
G20 summit: David Cameron warns Vladimir Putin that Russia's relationship with the West is at a 'fork in the road' over Ukraine
Benefits: Argyll Scott International: Argyll Scott is recruiting for a Permane...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + EXCELLENT: Austen Lloyd: COMMERCIAL PROPERTY SOLI...
Benefits: Argyll Scott International: Due to further expansion, a leading inte...
£27000 - £32000 per annum + training: Langley James : Senior Technician; Promo...