Gardening / Cuttings: Seeds of hope with parsnips
Saturday 27 February 1993
'One of my colleagues on the allotments had the same bad results and my sowing of 'Tender and True' was patchy in germination,' he says. 'One year at Watford I had only three seeds germinate out of four 18ft rows. It was the same round Rickmansworth and Amersham and also at Braintree and Waltham Abbey. I feel there are always certain poor years for germination of certain seeds, so your experience is quite normal.'
I am hoping for better results this year with 'Avonresister' (Unwins 79p). This makes short, stubby roots, which are easier to handle in the kitchen. It is a sweet variety and has good resistance to canker. Parsnip seed has a relatively short shelf life, so do not expect good results from the remnants of last year's seed packet.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
- 2 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Witch doctor arrested after forcing newborn baby to walk in Indian village
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...