Weekend Work: Time to catch up with pruning
Saturday 05 March 2011
What to do
Catch up with pruning, before new growth gets underway. Buddleia should have been tackled last month. If not, do it NOW by cutting all growths back to within a few inches of the old wood.
Bougainvillea growing in conservatories is also best pruned in February. Catch up by shortening all the main growths by a third and cutting back all the laterals close to the base. Cut out weak, straggly growths altogether.
If you want to grow eucalyptus as a bush rather than a tree, cut back all the growths to ground level now. This treatment means that the bush will only produce rounded juvenile foliage. Some gardeners prefer this to the long, adult leaves.
'Middlemist's Red' camelia, named after a Shepherd's Bush nursery-man who imported it from China more than 200 years ago, is the star of the Chiswick House Camellia Festival, celebrating not just these magnificent plants but the restored glasshouse too. The festival runs until 20 March and is open daily (10-3). Tickets £5, email@example.com.
Life & Style blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...