Weekend work: Time to cut back acacia
WHAT TO DO
* Remove any shoots that have died back in winter from outdoor abutilon. Large specimens of acacia (mimosa) can be cut back as soon as they have finished flowering if you want to reduce them in size. Otherwise, leave them alone.
* Arbutus, the strawberry tree, likewise needs no regular pruning but straggly shoots can be cut right back to the main stem now if necessary. Cut back varieties of ‘Artemisia absinthium’ (which include ‘Powis Castle’ and ‘Lambrook Silver’) to within 15cm of the ground.
WHAT TO BUY
* Because it was on special offer in our supermarket, I picked up a pack of a veg that called itself Flower Sprout. They looked like sprouts that had ‘blown’ but apparently aren’t. This is a new kind of greens (actually slightly purplish) and they are completely delicious, steamed for just a couple of minutes. Seed (£2.90) is available from Chiltern Seeds (01491 824675; chilternseeds.co.uk)
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
£19000 - £21000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPOR...
£80 - £100 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Randstad education are working...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer - C...
£100 - £160 per day + Mileage & Expenses: Randstad Education Leeds: A great sc...