Weekend work: Time to cut back acacia
WHAT TO DO
* Remove any shoots that have died back in winter from outdoor abutilon. Large specimens of acacia (mimosa) can be cut back as soon as they have finished flowering if you want to reduce them in size. Otherwise, leave them alone.
* Arbutus, the strawberry tree, likewise needs no regular pruning but straggly shoots can be cut right back to the main stem now if necessary. Cut back varieties of ‘Artemisia absinthium’ (which include ‘Powis Castle’ and ‘Lambrook Silver’) to within 15cm of the ground.
WHAT TO BUY
* Because it was on special offer in our supermarket, I picked up a pack of a veg that called itself Flower Sprout. They looked like sprouts that had ‘blown’ but apparently aren’t. This is a new kind of greens (actually slightly purplish) and they are completely delicious, steamed for just a couple of minutes. Seed (£2.90) is available from Chiltern Seeds (01491 824675; chilternseeds.co.uk)
Life & Style blogs
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...