Weekend Work: Time to cut back broom
WHAT TO DO
* Cut back broom when it has finished flowering, shortening the shoots that have flowered to within a couple of cms of the old wood. Do not cut into this older wood.
* Watch for suckers on roses. They always spring from the base of the shrub and the foliage usually looks different to that of the parent. The sucker's leaves look more like a wild dog rose's. Pull the suckers out if you can, or trace them back underground to their junction with the rootstock and cut them off there.
WHAT TO SEE
* A new show, GROW London, opens on Hampstead Heath, 20-22 June. Find it at the Lower Fairground Site, East Heath Road, London NW3 1TH. It's been set up by Will Ramsay who founded the Affordable Art Fair and more than a hundred exhibitors have already signed up. Expect specialist nurseries, talks, demonstrations and good food. Open 10am-6pm, admission £16, children under 16 free. For more information go to growlondon.com
Life & Style blogs
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...