Weekend work: Time to divide bearded irises
What to do
* There is still time to divide bearded irises. Lift congested clumps and pull the healthiest new growths away from the old exhausted rhizomes in the centre of the clump. Make sure that each new plant has plenty of roots. Trim the leaves back to no more than 30cm and replant the rhizomes firmly, leaving the top half of each one uncovered above the soil.
* Layer border carnations by choosing vigorous side growths and nicking the underside of each stem that you want to layer. Fork up and loosen the soil round the parent plant. Remove the lower leaves from each stem and bend them separately into the earth, pushing them at least 2cm deep. Keep them in place with hairpins. Water the layers thoroughly and keep the earth damp for the next month while they root. When they seem well anchored, cut the stem between layer and parent plant and leave them for another two weeks to recover from the shock. Then replant them.
* The first hyacinth bulbs for forcing are already in shops and garden centres. If you want these extra-early bulbs to flower by Christmas, they need to be planted before the middle of September. Choose a bowl at least 10cm deep and, if it has no drainage holes, use bulb fibre rather than compost for the planting. Set the bulbs with their noses above the surface of the compost and water well. Store the bowl in a cool place (not more than 48F) for 8-11 weeks. Bring the bowl into the warm when the flower buds are pushing out from the bulbs. Flowering should be in full swing three weeks after the bulbs come into the light.
What to recycle
* Used plastic plant pots build up in terrifying proportions in sheds and greenhouses. You always have more than you'll ever need yourself. You can now take them to any nursery belonging to The Garden Centre Group (which includes the Andover Garden Centre, Hants SP11 7DN, the Beaconsfield Garden Centre, Bucks HP9 1SH and the Bicester Avenue Garden Centre, Oxon OX25 2NY) where they will be collected by design company A Short Walk to be recycled into labels, clocks and garden chalk boards. For a full list of participating nurseries go to thegardencentregroup.co.uk or the design company's website ashortwalk.com
Life & Style blogs
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...