Weekend work: Time to get rid of leaves on hellebores
What to do
* It's time to get rid of the old leaves on your hellebores to allow the new buds pushing through from the base on their fat stems a clear space in which to develop.
* Watch out for a ghastly disease called black death which can infect Lenten hellebores. It's a viral infection that causes the surface of the leaves to become mottled and streaked with black, and there is no cure. All you can do is dig up the plant and burn it – a painful business .
* Hellebore leaf miner tunnels into the dark evergreen foliage of Helleborus foetidus leaving behind silvery traces of its progress. It's not fatal and when the hellebore has finished flowering, you can clean up the plant by cutting off the flowering stems together with the leaves that cluster round the head.
* Plan to produce your own supply of holly. It must have berries of course and if you only have room for one, plant 'J C van Tol', which is a female variety but self-fertile. That means it will produce berries even if there is no male tree close by.
What to get
* Why we ever needed to import the ash, I don't understand – it self-seeds prolifically. The result of imports has been the voracious alien fungus Chalara fraxinea. The Forestry Commission is keen to be told about infected trees. To learn what you're supposed to be looking for, get the free app and report diseased trees at ashtag.org.
Life & Style blogs
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 'Do not give them a reason': Baltimore man divides police and rioters in hope of avoiding violence
- 3 X Factor in crisis as numbers of people auditioning plummets
- 4 Baltimore riots: Furious mother marches her son home live on TV
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
£17447 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This organisation is a leading centre fo...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Trainee Case Handler is requi...
£15000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£20000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...