Weekend work: Time to hoe between rows of winter-planted garlic and broad beans
WHAT TO DO
* Hoe gently between rows of winter-planted garlic to loosen soil that has got beaten down and sour during the winter months. Do the same between early rows of broad beans. Feed if necessary with an all-round fertiliser such as Growmore.
* Repot indoor plants such as asparagus fern, aspidistra, and succulents of all kinds, giving them if possible, a pot one size larger than the one they were previously growing in.
* Take cuttings of geraniums now, choosing strong healthy shoots 7-10cm long and cutting just below a leaf joint. Strip off all the leaves except the few immature ones at the top of the cutting and root them, uncovered, in pots of compost. They will even root in water.
WHAT TO SEE
* Do you stake your plants before they need them? Or after? My head hangs down in shame as I slink towards the 'after' camp. But the Cambridge Botanic Garden has arranged a practical session called Successful Staking (8 April, 10.30am-12.30pm, £20) to encourage all of us lazy stakers to Do the Right Thing. Book at oxforduniversitystores.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 3 Scottish referendum 'English question': Tory MPs call on David Cameron to create an English first minister in wake of No vote
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...