Weekend work: Time to hoe between rows of winter-planted garlic and broad beans
WHAT TO DO
* Hoe gently between rows of winter-planted garlic to loosen soil that has got beaten down and sour during the winter months. Do the same between early rows of broad beans. Feed if necessary with an all-round fertiliser such as Growmore.
* Repot indoor plants such as asparagus fern, aspidistra, and succulents of all kinds, giving them if possible, a pot one size larger than the one they were previously growing in.
* Take cuttings of geraniums now, choosing strong healthy shoots 7-10cm long and cutting just below a leaf joint. Strip off all the leaves except the few immature ones at the top of the cutting and root them, uncovered, in pots of compost. They will even root in water.
WHAT TO SEE
* Do you stake your plants before they need them? Or after? My head hangs down in shame as I slink towards the 'after' camp. But the Cambridge Botanic Garden has arranged a practical session called Successful Staking (8 April, 10.30am-12.30pm, £20) to encourage all of us lazy stakers to Do the Right Thing. Book at oxforduniversitystores.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...