Weekend work: Time to hoe between rows of winter-planted garlic and broad beans
WHAT TO DO
* Hoe gently between rows of winter-planted garlic to loosen soil that has got beaten down and sour during the winter months. Do the same between early rows of broad beans. Feed if necessary with an all-round fertiliser such as Growmore.
* Repot indoor plants such as asparagus fern, aspidistra, and succulents of all kinds, giving them if possible, a pot one size larger than the one they were previously growing in.
* Take cuttings of geraniums now, choosing strong healthy shoots 7-10cm long and cutting just below a leaf joint. Strip off all the leaves except the few immature ones at the top of the cutting and root them, uncovered, in pots of compost. They will even root in water.
WHAT TO SEE
* Do you stake your plants before they need them? Or after? My head hangs down in shame as I slink towards the 'after' camp. But the Cambridge Botanic Garden has arranged a practical session called Successful Staking (8 April, 10.30am-12.30pm, £20) to encourage all of us lazy stakers to Do the Right Thing. Book at oxforduniversitystores.co.uk
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Life & Style blogs
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
£95 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Key Stage 1 teacher require...
£32000 - £39000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Man...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...
£100 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: We are looking for Founda...