Weekend Work: Time to plant early potatoes
WHAT TO DO
* Plant early potatoes. 'Accent' is a good, waxy first early, and 'Kestrel' a fine second early, usually ready for lifting in July. It roasts well.
* French beans can be started off in boxes indoors. Wooden apple boxes lined with newspaper allow plenty of room for growth. They must not go out before late May as they are prone to frost damage.
* Daffodils can be dead-headed, which prevents the bulbs from wasting energy on producing seeds.
* Camellias need picking over too, as they are reluctant to shed their withered flowers.
WHAT TO SEE
* Gardens to visit this weekend include botanical artist Rosemary Lindsay's patch at 5 Burbage Rd, Herne Hill, London SE24 9HJ, with plenty of beautifully planted pots. Teas and home-grown plants for sale. Open tomorrow (2-5pm), admission £3.50. At 51 The Chase, London SW4 0NP, Charles Rutherfoord who is a member of the Society of Garden Designers has created a spectacular show of tulips blooming among 15 different kinds of tree. Open tomorrow (2-5pm), admission £3.50.
Life & Style blogs
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...