Weekend Work: Time to plant grape vines
What to do
* Plant grape vines as soon as you can if you have visions of a Roman summer next year, lying under a leafy arbour waiting for the fruit to drop in your mouth. 'Royal Muscadine' will crop outside, but it grows prodigiously and you need warmth in late summer to sweeten the fruit. You also need to rig up netting against birds.
* Cultivated blackberries need attention. Cut out the old fruited canes and tie in new growths, either along horizontal wires or in a fan.
* October is a good month to plan hedge planting. If you want to put in a hedge on an exposed site, plants will establish more easily if you make a screen on the windward side. Hessian or doubled-over plastic netting is better than a solid screen.
* Lay new turf if the ground is moist. Fork over the ground to get rid of weeds and rake so the surface is even. Use a line to keep the turves straight and lay them like brickwork. Sift soil into gaps and firm down.
What to see
* On Mondays and Tuesdays in Nov, Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons in Oxford is offering a garden tour alongside one of its famous lunches. Owner Raymond Blanc is as interested in his garden (potager, orchard, Japanese garden...) as he is in his kitchen. For £80 you get both. To book, telephone 01844 278881
Life & Style blogs
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...