Weekend Work: Time to plant grape vines
What to do
* Plant grape vines as soon as you can if you have visions of a Roman summer next year, lying under a leafy arbour waiting for the fruit to drop in your mouth. 'Royal Muscadine' will crop outside, but it grows prodigiously and you need warmth in late summer to sweeten the fruit. You also need to rig up netting against birds.
* Cultivated blackberries need attention. Cut out the old fruited canes and tie in new growths, either along horizontal wires or in a fan.
* October is a good month to plan hedge planting. If you want to put in a hedge on an exposed site, plants will establish more easily if you make a screen on the windward side. Hessian or doubled-over plastic netting is better than a solid screen.
* Lay new turf if the ground is moist. Fork over the ground to get rid of weeds and rake so the surface is even. Use a line to keep the turves straight and lay them like brickwork. Sift soil into gaps and firm down.
What to see
* On Mondays and Tuesdays in Nov, Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons in Oxford is offering a garden tour alongside one of its famous lunches. Owner Raymond Blanc is as interested in his garden (potager, orchard, Japanese garden...) as he is in his kitchen. For £80 you get both. To book, telephone 01844 278881
Life & Style blogs
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...