Weekend work: Time to pollinate peaches, nectarines and apricots
WHAT TO DO
* Peaches, nectarines and apricots growing under cover in a greenhouse will be coming into flower this month. Since there are likely to be few insects on the wing to pollinate the flowers, you need to do the job yourself. Take a camel-hair brush and dust the pollen from one flower on to another, a branch at a time. Once you see that fruit has set, mist the trees over with water every morning.
* Sow broad beans in pots or boxes, setting the seeds about 7cm apart so that their roots do not become too intertangled. Germinate the seeds in a cold frame or a cool greenhouse and set out the plants in the open ground when they are about 5cm high. On heavy soil, or where mice and birds are a problem, this is a more reliable method than sowing direct in the ground.
WHAT TO SEE
The Chelsea Physic Garden on London's Royal Hospital Road is opening today (10am-4pm) for the first of its Snowdrop Specials. Visitors this Saturday have a bonus – a talk and tour with galanthophile Joe Sharman of Monksilver Nursery. The Snowdrop Days continue until 16 Feb; admission £9.90; 020-7352 5646, chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk
Life & Style blogs
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...