Weekend work: Time to prune berberis and trim box hedges
WHAT TO DO
* Where berberis is grown freely as a shrub, it does not need regular pruning, though old evergreen specimens can be rejuvenated by cutting out some of the old stems at ground level. This will persuade the thing to throw some vigorous new shoots.
* This month or next is the best time to trim box hedges. Topiary needs a careful eye. Most of the best topiary artists use hand shears rather than mechanical trimmers. Holly makes more uncomfortable topiary, but as with box, it should be clipped to shape this month.
* Established hedges of beech should be trimmed now. If you do not have a good eye for a straight line, stretch a string along the hedge to give you a guide.
* As soon as bushes of santolina (cotton lavender) have finished flowering, cut hard back to encourage new growth from the base. Lavender is loath to sprout from old wood, but santolina does and will look much better next year if you give it harsh treatment now.
WHAT TO SEE
* Visit Andrew Bliss's transformation of concrete screed into jungle at 87 St John's Rd, London E17. Raised borders, decking, slate walls, water features, and sculpture – all in a plot of 15ft x 25ft. Today, 1-5pm, £3.
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 'The Fappening': Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how the internet reacted
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...