Weekend work: Time to prune berberis and trim box hedges
WHAT TO DO
* Where berberis is grown freely as a shrub, it does not need regular pruning, though old evergreen specimens can be rejuvenated by cutting out some of the old stems at ground level. This will persuade the thing to throw some vigorous new shoots.
* This month or next is the best time to trim box hedges. Topiary needs a careful eye. Most of the best topiary artists use hand shears rather than mechanical trimmers. Holly makes more uncomfortable topiary, but as with box, it should be clipped to shape this month.
* Established hedges of beech should be trimmed now. If you do not have a good eye for a straight line, stretch a string along the hedge to give you a guide.
* As soon as bushes of santolina (cotton lavender) have finished flowering, cut hard back to encourage new growth from the base. Lavender is loath to sprout from old wood, but santolina does and will look much better next year if you give it harsh treatment now.
WHAT TO SEE
* Visit Andrew Bliss's transformation of concrete screed into jungle at 87 St John's Rd, London E17. Raised borders, decking, slate walls, water features, and sculpture – all in a plot of 15ft x 25ft. Today, 1-5pm, £3.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 3 The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
- 4 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will be working with a 8 st...
£8000 - £12000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A unique opportunity has arisen ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a pa...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of designer kitch...