Weekend Work: Time to prune wistarias
What to do
* Vigorous pruning is needed on wistarias to stop long new tendrils creeping in under tiles and through windows.
* Apple and pear trees trained in cordons, espaliers and fans may need summer pruning. Do this gradually so the tree doesn't suffer too much of a shock.
* Layer border carnations. Choose young side shoots that have not flowered and nick through the joint at the base of each shoot. Do not cut it completely. Bend the side shoots down and peg them firmly into the ground with a bit of bent wire. Cover the split stem with fine damp soil and keep the plant well watered. The layers should root by early September.
* Start planting autumn flowering bulbs such as colchicum and sternbergia.
* Continue to dead head petunias, roses and osteospermums.
* Goose grass has been particularly aggressive this year. Haul it away to the bonfire before it drops its seeds for next year's crop.
* Continue to nick out side shoots of tomatoes and tie the main stem onto its support if necessary.
What to see
Elliott Forsyth, who has done such wonderful things at Cambo (he is head gardener there) is leading a course at the garden tomorrow (2-5pm) on 'Designing the Small Garden'. Tickets £15; call 01333 450054 or go to camboestate.com. The garden is at Kingsbarns, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8QD
Life & Style blogs
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.