Weekend Work: Time to prune wistarias
What to do
* Vigorous pruning is needed on wistarias to stop long new tendrils creeping in under tiles and through windows.
* Apple and pear trees trained in cordons, espaliers and fans may need summer pruning. Do this gradually so the tree doesn't suffer too much of a shock.
* Layer border carnations. Choose young side shoots that have not flowered and nick through the joint at the base of each shoot. Do not cut it completely. Bend the side shoots down and peg them firmly into the ground with a bit of bent wire. Cover the split stem with fine damp soil and keep the plant well watered. The layers should root by early September.
* Start planting autumn flowering bulbs such as colchicum and sternbergia.
* Continue to dead head petunias, roses and osteospermums.
* Goose grass has been particularly aggressive this year. Haul it away to the bonfire before it drops its seeds for next year's crop.
* Continue to nick out side shoots of tomatoes and tie the main stem onto its support if necessary.
What to see
Elliott Forsyth, who has done such wonderful things at Cambo (he is head gardener there) is leading a course at the garden tomorrow (2-5pm) on 'Designing the Small Garden'. Tickets £15; call 01333 450054 or go to camboestate.com. The garden is at Kingsbarns, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8QD
Life & Style blogs
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...