Weekend work: Time to send indoor plants outside for a holiday
WHAT TO DO
* Many indoor plants can now be sent outside for a holiday which, if you set them in a place away from upsetting winds, they seem to find invigorating. Ivies benefit particularly from an outdoor summer season. So do begonias.
* Cut out some of the old branches of shrubs such as Rubus tridel 'Benenden' which has now finished flowering. I generally cut out as many branches as there are new strong shoots coming up from the base. If there are none, cut out some branches anyway. It will encourage new growth to form.
WHAT TO SEE
* As part of a programme, Seeding the City, garden designer Dan Pearson and architect Thomas Heatherwick are talking about London's first garden bridge, which will cross the Thames from Temple Underground station over to the South Bank. The talk is on Thursday (7pm) at Siobhan Davies Studios, 85 St George's Rd, London SE1. Tickets £10. For more information and to book, go to siobhandavies.com
Life & Style blogs
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Finance Director required to jo...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£27000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: A Quality Technician...