Weekend work: Time to send indoor plants outside for a holiday
WHAT TO DO
* Many indoor plants can now be sent outside for a holiday which, if you set them in a place away from upsetting winds, they seem to find invigorating. Ivies benefit particularly from an outdoor summer season. So do begonias.
* Cut out some of the old branches of shrubs such as Rubus tridel 'Benenden' which has now finished flowering. I generally cut out as many branches as there are new strong shoots coming up from the base. If there are none, cut out some branches anyway. It will encourage new growth to form.
WHAT TO SEE
* As part of a programme, Seeding the City, garden designer Dan Pearson and architect Thomas Heatherwick are talking about London's first garden bridge, which will cross the Thames from Temple Underground station over to the South Bank. The talk is on Thursday (7pm) at Siobhan Davies Studios, 85 St George's Rd, London SE1. Tickets £10. For more information and to book, go to siobhandavies.com
Life & Style blogs
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
- 1 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...