Weekend work: Time to spray bindweed
WHAT TO DO
* Although cultivated plants may flag in summer heat, bindweed (hereabouts called withy winder) flourishes unchecked, a ghastly indication of how deep its roots must be. August is a good month to spray this pernicious strangler with a herbicide based on glyphosate (Roundup).
* Dahlias are anxious to zoom into flower but should be disbudded until a good strong framework of leaf and stem has been built up.
* Check cordon tomatoes regularly and nip out side shoots growing in the axils between leaf and stem. Tie in the main stem frequently to its supporting cane. Watch out for new stems sprouting from the base of the plant. Sometimes they will grow almost as tall as the proper stem before you notice them. Watch out also for blight which can spread from potatoes to tomatoes. Fungicide can be used as a preventative, but not as a cure.
WHAT TO SEE
* The Plantasia festival at Kew runs until 7 September with barefoot walking trails, workshops focusing on herbal remedies and a chance (the first time in eight years) to climb to the top of Kew's pagoda, 50m off the ground. For more information call 020 8332 5655 or go to kew.org
Life & Style blogs
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
£35000 - £40000 per annum + car and benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...