Weekend work: Time to tend to apricots and figs
WHAT TO DO
* June pruning can be disposed of quite quickly, though apricots and figs will both need attention if they are grown as fans trained against a wall. Pinch back the lateral shoots of fan-trained apricots, leaving about 8cm/3in of the shoot in place. If there are sub-laterals growing from the laterals, pinch these back leaving only one leaf in place. Cut out entirely any branches that are crossing each other.
* Bay trees grown as standards or pyramids need clipping once or twice during summer. Keep the leaves for cooking. Remove any suckers that spring up from the base of standard bays.
WHAT TO SEE
* Gardens open in London this weekend include the 46 mini-plots in Choumert Square, London SE15 4RE where the residents all work together in a remarkably secret space. Open tomorrow (1-6pm), £4. New to the Gardens Open scheme is Peter Beardsley's garden at 160A Stapleton Hall Rd, Stroud Green, London N4 4QJ, with loosely planted glades of perennials. Open tomorrow (12-6pm), £3.50.
Life & Style blogs
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...