Weekend work: Time to tend to palms
What to do
* Palms have become standard kit in small-town gardens, where they usually thrive in the extra warmth created by escaped central heating. One of the most popular is the chusan palm 'Trachycarpus fortunei', with handsome pleated leaves. The dwarf palm 'Chamaerops humilis' is also reasonably hardy in sheltered gardens, but both need extra care while they are still young plants.
* Sow chillies, two seeds to a pot, but keep them somewhere warm. They do best in a greenhouse, but if you want to try them in pots outside, keep them protected until the end of May. Chiltern Seeds (chilternseeds.co.uk; 01491 824675) list 12 different sorts, including Italian-bred 'Etna' (£2.20) and 'Jalapeno' (£1.95), a Mexican favourite.
What to see
* Kew's Orchid Spectacular continues until 9 March in the Princess of Wales Conservatory at Kew Gardens (020-8332 5655; kew.org), with massed displays of vandas, dendrobiums and phalaenopsis (moth orchids). Free with normal admission (£14.50).
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...