Weekend work: Time to trim hornbeam hedges
WHAT TO DO
* Trim hedges of 'Carpinus betulus' (hornbeam) this month, treating new hedges gently, cutting harder into established ones. Hedges and screens of 'Crataegus monogyna' (hawthorn) can be dealt with in the same way. If specimen trees of either kind need reducing in size, leave the work until winter when they are dormant.
* Deutzia, which flowers in June and early July with clusters of small, star-shaped flowers, either white or shades of mauve and purple, can be pruned immediately after flowering. The best way is to take out some of the old flowered stems entirely, cutting them down at the base of the plant. This will encourage the production of strong new shoots from the base. It also keeps the shrub within reasonable bounds.
WHAT TO SEE
* Garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith is opening his own place, The Barn Garden in Hertfordshire, to raise funds for an archive of garden design at The Garden Museum in London. Drop in for afternoon tea (2.30-5.30pm) on Monday, or 15 September; tickets £15. For more information, go to gardenmuseum.org.uk
Life & Style blogs
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: You will also work alongside their seasoned sa...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for your first step into...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This innovative company working...