Weekend work: Time to trim hornbeam hedges
WHAT TO DO
* Trim hedges of 'Carpinus betulus' (hornbeam) this month, treating new hedges gently, cutting harder into established ones. Hedges and screens of 'Crataegus monogyna' (hawthorn) can be dealt with in the same way. If specimen trees of either kind need reducing in size, leave the work until winter when they are dormant.
* Deutzia, which flowers in June and early July with clusters of small, star-shaped flowers, either white or shades of mauve and purple, can be pruned immediately after flowering. The best way is to take out some of the old flowered stems entirely, cutting them down at the base of the plant. This will encourage the production of strong new shoots from the base. It also keeps the shrub within reasonable bounds.
WHAT TO SEE
* Garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith is opening his own place, The Barn Garden in Hertfordshire, to raise funds for an archive of garden design at The Garden Museum in London. Drop in for afternoon tea (2.30-5.30pm) on Monday, or 15 September; tickets £15. For more information, go to gardenmuseum.org.uk
Life & Style blogs
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...