Weekend work: Time to trim hornbeam hedges
WHAT TO DO
* Trim hedges of 'Carpinus betulus' (hornbeam) this month, treating new hedges gently, cutting harder into established ones. Hedges and screens of 'Crataegus monogyna' (hawthorn) can be dealt with in the same way. If specimen trees of either kind need reducing in size, leave the work until winter when they are dormant.
* Deutzia, which flowers in June and early July with clusters of small, star-shaped flowers, either white or shades of mauve and purple, can be pruned immediately after flowering. The best way is to take out some of the old flowered stems entirely, cutting them down at the base of the plant. This will encourage the production of strong new shoots from the base. It also keeps the shrub within reasonable bounds.
WHAT TO SEE
* Garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith is opening his own place, The Barn Garden in Hertfordshire, to raise funds for an archive of garden design at The Garden Museum in London. Drop in for afternoon tea (2.30-5.30pm) on Monday, or 15 September; tickets £15. For more information, go to gardenmuseum.org.uk
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Life & Style blogs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
£32000 - £42000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£27000 - £31000 Per Annum Excellent Benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...
Competitive Salary: Randstad Education Group: We urgently require an experienc...